Armenian Council of America (ACA) members recently engaged in a significant and constructive meeting with former Turkish Parliament Member Garo Paylan, shedding light on the intricacies of the current state of affairs in Armenia, Turkey, and the ongoing challenges faced by the forcibly displaced Artsakh people.
As a former member of the Turkish Parliament known for advocating human rights and minority rights, Mr. Paylan provided insights into the evolving political landscape in Turkey and the region.
During the meeting, ACA Chairman Sevak Khatchadorian took the opportunity to provide Mr. Paylan with a comprehensive overview of the policy issues that the Armenian Council of America (ACA) has been actively advocating for within both the U.S. Federal and State governments. This discussion revealed the depth and breadth of ACA’s commitment to representing the interests of the American Armenian community and addressing critical matters of concern.
Mr. Khatchadorian highlighted the significant policy areas that ACA has been championing, emphasizing their importance in shaping the relationship between the Armenian diaspora and the U.S. government. These policy issues encompassed a wide range of subjects, including:
- Support for Artsakh: ACA’s dedication to providing humanitarian aid and support for the forcibly displaced people of Artsakh, and advocating for their rights and safe return to their homes.
- Reaffirmation of the Armenian Genocide: ACA’s hitorical efforts to secure formal recognition of the Armenian Genocide by the U.S. government, and the current efforts to include the Armenian Genocide in the curriculum of every school in the USA .
- Human Rights and Minority Rights: ACA’s advocacy for the promotion of human rights, including the protection of minorities and minority rights in Turkey and other regions, reflecting its commitment to justice and equality.
- U.S.-Armenia Relations: The organization’s initiatives aimed at strengthening diplomatic, economic, and cultural ties between the United States and Armenia, fostering cooperation and mutual understanding.
- Legislation and Resolutions: Efforts to encourage the passing of relevant legislation and resolutions in both Federal and State legislatures, supporting the Armenian cause and addressing key issues impacting the Armenian-American community.
By elaborating on these policy issues, Mr. Khatchadorian underscored ACA’s unwavering commitment to advocating for the interests and rights of the Armenian diaspora living in the United States, fostering cooperation between the U.S. and Armenia, and striving for justice in the face of historical injustices.
The exchange of insights and policy discussions between ACA members and Mr. Paylan underscored a dedicated commitment to addressing critical issues, fostering mutual understanding, and championing justice, highlighting collaboration in the pursuit of lasting solutions.